These simple vegetarian recipes make delicious starters or snacks. Crispy oriental spring rolls are great for a first course, served with your favorite dipping sauce. The warm avocado salad can also be served as a starter, or as a light lunch with crusty bread.
Oriental Spring Rolls
- 4oz / 100g button mushrooms
- 2 carrots
- 4 spring onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 4oz / 100g beansprouts
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 6 sheets filo pastry (cut into quarters)
- 1/4 pint / 150ml vegetable oil
- Peel and thinly slice the onion, Slice the mushrooms. Peel and julienne (cut into matchstick sized pieces) the carrots. Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a pan or wok until very hot and almost smoking. Add the mushrooms and carrots and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until softened and golden.
- Add onions, garlic, beansprouts and soy sauce. Stir-fry for a further 2-3 minutes until tender. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Lay the filo pastry sheets out on your work surface, divide the filling between them – towards one end of the pastry sheets. Brush the bridges with water (this will effect sealing the pastry so that no oil can get in and no filling can get out), fold the sides in and roll them up.
- Heat the remaining oil in your pan. Cook in batches for 3 minutes, turn frequently to get them golden brown all over. Drain on kitchen paper and serve warm.
Warm Avocado Salad
- 8oz / 225g cherry tomatoes
- 4 ripe avocados
- bunch of spring onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (plus extra drizzle over finished salad)
- salad leaves of your choice
- Halve the cherry tomatoes. Peel and crush the garlic. Trim and chop the spring episodes. Cut the avocados in half lengthways and take out the stones. Peel the skin off, chop the flesh badly and toss in the lemon juice.
- Heat the oil in a pan or wok. Add garlic and spring onions and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the white wine vinegar, mustard, and the tomatoes. Stir-fry over a high heat for 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes have softened. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the avocados and parsley.
- Arrange the salad leaves onto 4 serving plates and top with the avocado mixture. Drizzle with olive oil and serve warm.