This is a different fun dish to do for a small dinner party or even for your family. The description below should feed four people but if it goes right I often eat two peoples' worth myself!
Here's what you'll need:
- 55 ml olive oil
- 2 medium beets
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 35 ml balsamic vinegar
- 120 g goat cheese
- 2 g dried rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 2 limes, juiced
- 40 ml mayonnaise
- 4 sandwich buns, split and toasted
- 40 g baby spinach leaves
Here is how to do it:
- Firstly preheat your oven to about 400 degrees F (roughly 200C).
- Next cut off the tops of the beets and put them in a baking dish with sufficient water to cover the base of the dish.
- Then roast these beets in your oven until they can easily be pierced with a fork which should be about 45 minutes. Then refrigerate them to cool. Once cool, slice them.
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack to the second level from the heat source.
- Whisk the olive oil, rosemary, balsamic vinegar and 2 cloves minced garlic together in a bowl. Spread roughly half of the composition over the ribbed side of the portobello mushroom caps; arrange the mushrooms over the baking sheet with the ribbed sides facing upwards.
- Then for 5 to 7 minutes, broil the mushrooms until tender, making sure to not burn the garlic. Flip the mushrooms and brush the remaining olive oil mixture over the tops of the caps. Go back to the oven and broil until tender for roughly 6 minutes more.
- Spread goats cheese in equal amounts on each half of each sandwich roll in your desired quantity. Then place a portion of sliced beets and spinach into each. Whisk the mayonnaise, garlic, and lime juice together in a bowl; spread the mixture evenly over the remaining sandwich roll halves and top with one mushroom cap each. Put the two halves together to get the sandwich! Simple.
It's really not too difficult and you could do this quite easily whatever your culinary skill. Trust me, the work is worth it in the end and your guests will come back for more next time. Good luck!
These burgers also are a lot healthier than the things you get in supermarkets. You are not using any artificial supplements and are using fresh vegetables. Much better than processed food!